Tamás Sneider: "I got home at one in the morning, with some tear gas in my eyes"

Jobbik’s president was among the protesters in Budapest’s Kossuth Square, so he suffered the same fate as the others when the police started to squeeze demonstrators out of the area at night. As Mr Sneider explained, it was Jobbik who asked people to go to the Parliament and protest against the slavery act so the party’s politicians felt it was their duty to personally participate in the demonstrations and not to let down those who went to Kossuth Square on Wednesday evening.

After the vote in Parliament, the party president drove to the town of Jászberény where he and his team posted a sign on Fidesz MP János Pócs’ office with the message from the largest opposition party: no slavery. After that, they immediately headed back to Budapest because “as the Deputy Speaker of the House, I felt it was my duty to see with my own eyes what was going on in front of the Parliament so that I could warn the police and prevent them from committing any unlawful acts,” he said. Explaining why he felt it was important for him to take this step, Mr Sneider explained his MP status allowed him to potentially prevent police from crossing the boundaries of law.

Talking to Alfahir.hu, he recalled how the police began to squeeze the remaining 500 demonstrators out of the square, which he found quite pointless as many of the protesters were already leaving due to the cold weather and the late hour, so they most likely would have left in 1-2 hours anyway.

“While this was going on, one of the policemen in the line overstepped his authority or made a mistake or maybe just accidentally sprayed tear gas on me and the young man peacefully standing next to me. It wasn’t serious but I did feel the effect and the tears were coming, too. I called the policeman to account. On the other hand, I experienced many similar events between 2006 and 2010, and I saw that he wasn’t aiming the spray at our faces so I don’t think I should press charges,” the opposition politician explained. He stated “I am fully aware that policemen can sometimes make an honest mistake, too, and it was one of those cases”. “I got home at one in the morning, with some tear gas in my eyes,” he summed up how the night ended.

According to Mr Sneider, the fact that the police used tear gas to disperse the crowd once again after 2014 is a clear indication of the growing social tension which has reached the level last experienced under the rule of former Socialist Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsány. “It seems clear to me that if the sticky-fingered PM goes on like this and keeps robbing the country of its assets, even more serious events will soon come. What happened on Wednesday evening should be a warning for this government,” he concluded. The party president expressed his hope that the Orbán government might listen to reason and amicable arguments, and finally show some restraint.


Alfahír.hu - Jobbik.com